Monday, November 16, 2009

Twilight and FanFiction

The fan-fiction stories are interesting! It is fun to see how people play with the characters. Some use the same characters but change how they meet, and therefore, the relationships they have with one another. Others pick up where one novel or another left off.

I read "My Own Secret" by FantasyChick101 and felt that this was a pretty interesting story (not commenting on grammar, style, etc.) Fan-Fiction would probably make a good alternative writing assignment for our students--it requires them to be engaged in what they read, to comprehend what they read, and to understand the characters presented in the books so that they can produce "accurate" fan-fiction. (I say "accurate" because you can't write Harry Potter fan-fiction with Harry being a terrible wizard, etc. You have to know the characters to write them.)

The article definitely had some good points about intertextuality. This story can be tied into stories like Romeo and Juliet (because they are from two different worlds and if they give in to their love they could both be destroyed), and others that use this idea of forbidden love.

I actually read a great reaction to this novel and the movies over the weekend. The writer said that really Twilight is just about repressed sexuality. Edward can't give in to Bella because if he does he might kill her, and Bella loves Edward enough to risk it, but decides to wait until he is ready. (This whole idea brought some laughs from my friends who said that you never hear men saying "wait.")

The book itself is a terribly-written good story. The actual events are exciting and push you forward through the book. The writing style is so cheesy and ridiculous that I had some difficulty getting lost in the pages. I was sick and tired of hearing about how beautiful Edward is, and I felt that "Bella's" narration was over-the-top throughout. It could have been simplified to create a more enjoyable read (and one that was about 200 pages shorter!), but I think this is an art that Meyer improves on throughout the other 3 novels in the series.

3 comments:

  1. It's funny that most of us feel that Twilight is a guilty pleasure read. I think it's a similar reason that teenagers are drawn to it, in addition to the love story aspect. I found myself to not be a fan of the fanfiction that I read, but I'm kind of old-school when it comes to analyzing what the author intended for the characters instead of what others think. I'm all for encouraging young writers to express themselves with developed characters, but I think it's even more important for students to learn how to develop interesting characters themselves.
    P.S. Look at your pretty bridal photos, Megan! Awww....=)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard several discussions on the book related to teen sexuality as well. One of my mentors suggests that the reason teen girls love this book is because it is all about "romance" without "sex." It's Edward who must "hold back." I do think, in this sense, that the book offers some interesting "sub-texts" about adolescent power and sexuality.

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. I love your wedding pictures! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete