Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Research!

My research inquiry topic is:
Investigating Writing: How can we encourage students to write?

My research questions are:
1) What kinds of writing are crucial for students to learn?
2) How do state and federal standards play a part in the writing curriculum?
3) How can we engage students in writing while helping them meet those standards?
4) How can we prepare and excite students for writing outside of the classroom?

My sources are:
Book: In The Middle. There are great ideas for getting students involved in the writing process and thinking of themselves as characters, narrators, etc. Since I want to teach middle school, I think this is one of the better books to use.
Article: "From the personal to the public: Conceptions of creative writing in higher education" by Gregory Light. This article examines an older age group, so I think it will be interesting to see how the writing process changes/scaffolds from one year to the next.
Article: "The Effects of School-Based Writing-to-Learn Inverventions on Academic Achievement: A Meta-Analysis" by Robert L. Banger-Drowns, Marlene M. Hurley, and Barbara Wilkinson. The article focuses on keywords such as cognitive strategies, learning strategies, and writing to learn.

To be honest, I have not gotten very far on this at all, due to a mixed-up Methods schedule and an unexpected (and quite unwelcome!) illness. I have passages selected from In The Middle but have not yet gone in-depth with my articles. This is something I will look at before class next week and get ideas on. Also, I am going to talk to Brooke about her experience with writing in the classroom, so she will be one of my "interviewees." I am also going to ask some eighth-graders about the writing they do in school and how they feel about it. I think these interviews will add some personal context to my paper.

1 comment:

  1. Megan,

    It looks like you have a pretty clear idea of what you would like to do for this project. I'm most interested in what the eighth graders themselves might say! I think this will be a nice component in your project. You might also look into the National Writing Project (NWP), an organization that promotes best practices in writing nationwide. This is an excellent program, with branches of individual writing projects across each state. They have an excellent website as well.

    I think you are on the right track with your questions, but they feel a bit too broad at the moment. As you read, consider which particular aspect of "Teaching writing" that you would like to focus on. Perhaps your questions are more geared toward middle school writing, since this is your area of interest. Linda Rief's book "Seeking Diversity" might also be another good resource for you. Of course, don't forget to look to the NCTE publications (this is a database under "articles" offered by our library) for further relevant articles on teaching writing.

    Good start. Many directions to move into. See if you can narrow yours down.

    ReplyDelete